A Reflection on My Study of Food Engineering Subject

Image result for kitchen design
Picture from http://www.humphreymunson.co.uk/kitchen/ashurst-house/
So if you don't know about what Food Engineering is, it is basically a learning of kitchen's layout, flow, and usage of each sections of it. I am a Culinary Arts student, and this subject is in my module. So, here is what I have been through in this subject.

A challenge that I got in this subject was actually designing the floor plan for my group project. We had to create a kiosk floorplan for a certain business, and I chose a churro business. Discussing it with my lecturer and revising and revising again, I got a little bit of imagination on how it feels being an architecture / interior sort of student. But in the end, a friend and I figured it all out. Hopefully the flow is acceptable for the marking. I still need to improve a lot if I’m going to be a Kitchen Designer. 

As for what I performed well, I think being in this field for almost 5 years is kind of helping on giving me the idea about how to work the floorplan, understanding the design and such. Another thing is I am somehow quite good in learning new programme (Microsoft Visio in this case). I’m not such a great user in Photoshop, but at least I can learn it if I want to (yay). I could create the floorplan in half a day, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.
Image result for which is nice meme




Learning Food Engineering is actually very new to me. Since long, I have listened to  people telling me that being in this field, it doesn't mean that you have to be a chef and work in restaurant or kitchen line; you can be a food stylist, a kitchen designer, food critique and blogger, etc. So this module has actually helped me to open my eyes on how it is like to get into a business in this field. It is important to know your kitchen design too so it will be an efficient one. Efficient work means faster result.

Comment below if you have any tips or story that can relate!

Comments